All Poems and quotes on this blog, unless otherwise attributed, are the copyrighted property of PAN

About Me

My photo
I am an energetic,creative,bold,self-motivated,GOD-fearing and a young professional striving for excellence in leadership and business. He is having a passion for poetry and personal development. Also like to communicate the idea of PEACE and the youth having a positive mental attitude and creating positive change in their communities. He believes that, in our part of the world , if our leaders will do away with their self-seeking desires and crave for the betterment of their citizens, by free movement trade and people,eradicate war and hunger,ensure environmental sustainability, the world will be a better place to live. A firm handshake and may God bless us all in whatever we do. cheers.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

My Poetry Career Unfolding.



She was a the conference director in charge of Junior Chamber International Ghana national convention, this convention was held annually to make account of what had transpired during every year and also to elect new leaders to steer the affairs of the organization in the next coming year.

We were having a chat and she mentioned that they had considered a poetry recital at the forth coming JCI Ghana national convention, however, the poet she had in mind had rejected the proposal due to his other equally important matters he had to attend.

She continued that, I should take it up. I said, “why not”. Then she told me she will have to discuss with her committee and she will give me the feedback.

I was elated by the hearing of the opportunity and started to imagine the atmosphere that day will be.

She later called me one hot afternoon to confirm that, the committee had agreed to let me handle that slot because they knew my capability of delivering. She continued that, I should prepare and present a draft for their scrutiny and perusal.

I didn’t hesitate to say ‘okay’ and that they should expect it as soon as possible.

Some days later, after an afternoon nap, I remembered about the task and it was what I loved to do.

I started to pen down any idea that came into mind and after tried to put together the ideas that represented the organization and the message I wanted to convey to my audience.

In few hours it was done and I recited it to myself to see the fluency and the choice of words.

I also showed it to some poets to evaluate and make known to me, if there were some lop holes in it. They all appreciated it and commended it was an excellent piece for that occasion.

Later, I sent a copy to the conference director so that she could present it to the committee to consider and see if they will approve it.

She gave me the feedback that, they liked it. Then it was left to me to deliver it exquisitely to the audience. So I started memorizing it morning and evening to prevent poor performance.

I researched to find some tips in reciting poetry and they were really utile.

On the 22nd October, 2011 was the day and it was a Saturday. I was full enthusiasm to deliver because the poetry was in my heart and I believed by time I would finish, it would also be in the minds and hearts of my audience.

I was called after a cultural performance and I was in a bloom to make it count.

I started by introducing myself and how I was humbled by that august opportunity at such a wonderful gathering and I edge my audience to be receptive to my words. This was how it flowed;

YOU ARE THE WORLD

Our world is sick and in messiness

Our world is tattered and ragged

Our world is bedevilled by our actions

Actions that have augmented the myriad of problems

You are the world,

We live in it, we are the hope, we hold the future

We are the titans of solutions, we are of a purpose

You are to serve that purpose

You are to wear the cap of action

You are to claim the call of change

The call from JCI

You are the world,

You are the tread in the fabric of life

You are the beautifying green in the world

You are the fresh perfume scent in the wind

Your actions awake a dying soul and put a heartwarming smile on the face

You are the world,

Let’s defend humanity with our service

Lets become the bridge to a better world

The jewel of peace, the voice of change and the brotherhood of man

You are the life, the spirit and the icon of change in your community

The world, awaits on your smallest action for a greater impact.

You are the world

Thank you!

These were the humble words of my own to inspire my people to change the world and also say “You Are The World”.


The author is the Immediate Past President of Junior Chamber International-University of Cape Coast. (JCI-UCC) Local Org. A certified trainer, a creativeWriter, motivational speaker, poet, self motivated, God-fearing, social entrepreneur and a dynamic leader, who always communicate the idea of PEACE, the youth having a positive mental attitude and creating positive change in their communities. He believes, through our collective efforts we can make Africa (our

motherland) and the world a better place.

By Patrick Adjei Nketia,

Email-poetinsmile@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment